All 4J students are required to complete bus safety training. Please view this flyer (español) and watch the Bus Safety Video.
Bus Safety and Rules
All students who ride the school bus receive training on how to behave in the bus, how to cross the road when a bus has its safety lights on, where to find emergency equipment, and how to evacuate a bus in an emergency. Schools also train other students on basic school bus safety when they ride the school bus on field trips or other activities. A copy of the safety rules will be included in school newsletters in the early fall.
For more information on bus safety, or for a copy of bus safety rules and evacuation procedures, call the 4J Transportation Department at 541-790-7474.
Parents: Please read and discuss the following rules with your children:
The following are rules and regulations established by the State of Oregon and School District 4J for students riding school buses. To be eligible to ride a bus, an elementary student MUST reside one mile or more from school and secondary students MUST reside one and one-half miles or more from school. All students should arrive at the bus stop 5 minutes before the scheduled load time. The rules, listed below, also apply to student conduct at all bus stops.
- Pupils being transported are under the authority of the bus driver.
- Fighting, wrestling, or boisterous activity is prohibited on the bus.
- Pupils shall use the emergency door only in case of emergency.
- Pupils shall be on time for the bus both morning and afternoon.
- Pupils shall not bring animals, firearms, weapons, or other potentially dangerous/hazardous material on the bus.
- Pupils shall remain seated while the bus is in motion.
- Pupils may be assigned seats by the bus driver.
- When necessary to cross the road, pupils shall cross in front of the bus or as instructed by the bus driver.
- Pupils shall not extend their hands, arms, or heads out the bus windows.
- Pupils shall have written permission to leave the bus other than at home or at school.
- Pupils shall converse in normal tones; loud or vulgar language is prohibited.
- Pupils shall not open or close windows without permission of the driver.
- Pupils shall keep the bus clean and must refrain from damaging it.
- Pupils shall be courteous to the driver, to fellow pupils and passersby.
- Pupils who refuse to obey promptly the directions of the driver or refuse to obey regulations, may forfeit their privilege to ride on buses.
- Rules governing pupils riding school buses must be kept in a conspicuous place in all buses.