Stay Connected:
Youtube Twitter facebook

September 11th

Lancer Parent Association Meeting- September 11, 2012

IMPORTANT: Change in date for next meeting WITH SPEAKERS !!!  MOVED TO:  October 2nd, 2012

Speakers will be Churchill administrators giving an overview of 3 X 5 schedule and plans for year.

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Introductions Name, name of students, where were you born, why do you want to get out of coming to parent meetings? Overwhelming answer was parents come to the meeting to stay involved and hear communication about what is happening at the school. 
Plans/Goals for the coming school year What do parents want from the parent association? Brainstorming from the group:

  • Increase parent involvement in school events/programs
  • Hear about what’s going on at the school-some examples:
    • academics (have departments and teachers in to talk about what’s going on,
    • events,
    •  issues around teenagers,
    • budget issues, ,
    •  how can parents help students prepare for life after high school
  •  Increase neighborhood involvement-strengthen the community of Churchill
    • How do we engage others that live in our community to come to our events-band, sports, plays, etc.
  • Is there an alumni association? Is there a way to encourage alumni involvemen
  • Create website with parent friendly information
  • Frequently asked questions-FAQ’s
    •  What forms must be filled out
    •  Info on parent association
    •  Sports/activities
    • Resource list for parents
  •  Increase parent awareness of website-redesigned this summer and improved user friendliness.
  • Increase awareness of site council and ability of parents and students to attend
    •    Council reviews and approves school improvement plan
    •   Can we get improvement plan out to parents and more visible? 
    •  Are we working on those plans and if so, how are we doing?
    • Analyze school data- what does Churchill look like? # of students and other facts
    •  Council looks at needs of school community
    • Meets monthly
    • Open to Churchill parents and students
  • Fundraising-currently done by individual programs-no centralized function.
    • Should this be an LPA function?
    • Do we need a subcommittee to focus on fundraising?
    • Have we accessed previous fundraising efforts and are they worth continuing these efforts ?  Directory sales, direct drive, etc.
  • Work to create tangible goals and define what fundraising is for.  Most parents have no idea of money LPA has given to various events. 
  • What is the current fundraising philosophy for Churchill and can we change it from silo’s to centralized functions?
  • Support for faculty-what do teachers need?
  • Financial support?  If financial, how do we learn what items they need?
  •  Other support-potlucks for days when teachers are working on other projects
  •  FUN coordinator
  •  Structure of parent association
    •  What is the current structure of LPA?
    • Do we need some coordinators to focus on special projects
    •  Do we need subcommittees to meet outside of the bigger meeting and utilize the larger meeting for reporting out and speakers for parents?
Need to prioritize what the parents would like to focus on or divide into subgroups to continue development of ideas into action.   Next meeting will focus on the switch to the 3 X 5 schedule and would like to give the full hour to that presentation by administration and allow time for questions and answers.

 

Recommendation:

 Keep meeting on October 9th as a working meeting to refine this list.  Margaret will send out invitation and see if parents are interested to meet twice in October.

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Administrator Report: Londa Rochholz and Morgan Christon 1.  Churchill was in Register Guard Editorial today (Sept. 11) focus on increase in students.  Bump up in enrollment to 1113 students.  Was it due to the new engineering program, the switch to the 3 X 5 schedule, the district opened up to students outside the 4J district?  Increase in students does increase staffing levels which is a good thing.

2.       3X5 schedule-students settling in.  Still some adjusting and education about credits per class, work in progress,

3.       Lancer Support Agents –LSA  37 Juniors and seniors-had been known previously as Freshman advisors.  1 to 15 ratios.  Plan is to have them remain connected with their “15” throughout year and mentor freshman through first year.  Working to grow program.  Helped out at Freshman social and freshman orientation.  Will be on hand to help at the Open House.

4.       Day long professional development for teachers prior to start of school year.  Good start for teachers.  Dr. Berman, 4J superintendent is very  focused on professional development and will continue to work with teachers with this focus.

5.       Electronic Reader Board update- questions about progress.  Trenching and underwire installation happened this summer thanks to work by Brian Bineham.  Agreement with Sign company completed this week so it will be 6 to 8 weeks before sign is ready –then installation will take about 2 to 4 days.  Estimated completion around first of November.  Sign will be about 24 inches off the ground and rise up to about the 7 foot mark-city rules regulate sign measurements.

6.       Discussion regarding conflicts with next LPA meeting on October 9th.  Eugene Educational Fund kickoff that night and administrators need to be present. Recommend that we move LPA meeting to October 2nd so that all administrators can be present to talk about the 3X5 schedule and take questions from parents.

Informational  

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Agreed to switch presentation to October 2nd.  May keep October 9th for planning session for LPA.

 Meeting will take place in room 36.

Agenda Item

Discussion

Action

Nominations and vote for vacant officer positions-Maggie Beals At the end of last school year, there were two vacancies:Second co-chairperson and secretary. Secretary position was announced.  Interested parents are asked to contact Margaret Beals and vote can be taken at next meeting.   Reviewed that we do not need legal or technical minutes but minutes that will capture what occurred and what action-if any-will be taken. Lucas Mericantante was nominated for co-chairperson- approved via member vote Ann Reeder expressed interest in filling the secretary position.  Margaret will announce and take a vote at the next meeting.
Update from site council and operations council Have not met yet- may be meeting this week- parent representatives will report at next meeting. Informational
Update on fundraising at U of O tailgater-Maggie Beals Received very short notice of need for community group to help with recycling at first two U of O football games.  Oregon Bottling and Recycling actually pays $500 base for group of 20 volunteers and the $.05 for all recyclables.  Originally stated volunteers had to be 18 and older but agreed that high school students could help if accompanied by parent or guardian.  Messages were sent out via autodial and put on the Churchill website. First game only had 7 Churchill volunteers and so funds will be split with other groups-largest collection done ever- 3 times more than anything they did last year.Second game had 12 Churchill volunteers so more of the funds will go to Churchill.  Money will be split between LPA and Band parents who participated in the fundraiser. Churchill will be recommended to continue to fill this role for the first two games before student groups are available to assist- will see if with sufficient planning we can be the sole provider of the volunteers.
Directory work Theresa Mayne has agreed to oversee this again this year.  Working with Tom Pargeter.  Some questions about whether or not we can do electronic directory and does it actually raise money after cost to produce?  Will ask group to evaluate after this year’s production.  
Treasurer report-Maggie Beals Review of report as of July 31, 2012  
Future meetings: October 2nd-change- Churchill administration to present information about new 3X5 schedule and other changesOctober 9th– Utilize as planning meeting?November 13- Dr. Berman will discuss future 4J plans Margaret will check with other nearby elementary and middle schools for conflicts with scheduled   parent association meetings. 
  Meeting adjourned at 8:15 pm  

 

Comments are closed.